Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Question of the week: What type of diet is best for me?


The following question was emailed to me by one of my readers, "My doctor has diagnosed me with diabetes and has told me to lose weight. I have heard about high protein diets, low fat/high carb diets, and many others. I want a sound diet instead of a fad. What type of diet is best given my situation?"

A healthy diet consists of nutrient dense foods (foods that are rich in nutrients in relation to the number of calories it has). Nutrient dense foods include whole grains (such as brown rice, whole grain breads, grains such as quinoa), fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins (such as poultry and fish), and healthier fats (such as avocado and nuts) and low fat dairy products.

Another important aspect of a sound diet plan is portion size. Make sure you are eating sensible portions. For example, a sensible portion of lean protein is between 3 - 4 oz.

Fad diets, or any other type of diet that promises a quick fix are usually nutritionally unbalanced and close to impossible to maintain for any length of time. The best approach to starting a new
"lifestyle change" (I don't like the word, "diet" as it has a temporary and negative conotation) is to make small changes/substitutions to ensure that you can stick to it.

Finally, incorporate some physical activity into your lifestyle. Even just walking for 30 minutes daily can make a big difference and help you work towards your weight goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment