Sunday, March 27, 2011

Question of the Week: "What if I can't have Milk?"

The following question was submitted to me for discussion on my blog: "I have type 2 diabetes and cannot tolerate milk.  What may I substitute for my recommended two milk servings per day?  Would I substitute a carbohydrate or a protein?"

My first question to you would be are you allergic to milk or do you have a lactose intolerance?  My answer will depend on how you answer that question.

 If you are lactose intolerant (and not allergic to milk), there are many products available that you can take advantage of such as lactose-free milk or lactase tablets (which can be taken prior to consuming a dairy product) which will allow you to consume milk without the undesirable side effects.  In some cases, people who are lactose intolerant are able to tolerate some dairy products such as yogurt if not consumed in large amounts.

In the case of a milk allergy, you may want to try either rice milk, soy milk or almond milk.  In some cases, they are fortified with calcium.  There are varieties that are flavored with chocolate or vanilla but they may have added sugar (so check your labels!).

Milk is counted as a carbohydrate on a Carbohydrate Counting/Controlled diet.  It has 12g of carbohydrate and 8g of protein per serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment