Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Question of the week: Gluten Intolerance


One of my readers has posed the following question, "I have type 2 diabetes and just found out I have gluten intolerance. I haven't been able to figure out what I can eat. I have been leaving grains out of my diet. What should I do?"

Gluten intolerance is a condition where foods containing gluten should be eliminated from their diet. Consumption of these foods may cause symptoms various gastrointestinal issues such as abdominal pain and distention, gassiness, and diarrhea.

There is no need to avoid all grains. Grains that contain gluten and should be eliminated from one's diet are wheat (including varieties like spelt, kamut, farro and durum; and products like bulgur, semolina), barley, rye, and oats(oats are inherently gluten-free, but are often contaminated with wheat during growing/processing).

Grains that can be included in a gluten-free diet are as follows: amaranth, corn, millet, montina (Indian rice grass), quinoa, rice, sorghum, teff, and wild rice. Although okay to eat, you will still need to watch your portion sizes and count carbohydrates when consuming these particular grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment