Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Question of the week: Pre-Diabetes and Weightloss

The following question was submitted by a reader for discussion on my blog, "I have pre-diabetes and my doctor has told me if I don't lose weight I will end up with type 2 diabetes. I have about 75 pounds to lose. Could you tell me the best way to do this?"

Pre-diabetes is the condition that occurs when one's blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not quite high enough for to be diagnosed as diabetes.

Losing even a small amount of weight (5-10 percent of total body weight) through diet and moderate exercise, such as walking or riding a bicycle (ie. 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week) can make a huge difference). A loss of just 10-15 lbs can make a huge difference. If you have pre-diabetes, you are at a 50% increased risk for heart disease or a stroke.

*Integrate more fruits, vegetables, and high fiber foods into your diet.
*Substitute any whole or full fat milk or cheeses with ones of lower fat or fat free varieties.
*Drink water (flavor it with a lemon or lime wedge) and eliminate any caloric beverages (i.e. soda, flavored sweetened beverages). Avoid diet sodas.
*Substitute white flour products and white rice with ones of whole grain varieties. i.e. Whole Wheat Pasta, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Bread.
*Introduce whole grains into your diet such as quinoa, amaranth, and millet.
*Watch your portion sizes.

Source: American Diabetes Association

No comments:

Post a Comment