Thursday, September 30, 2010

Question of the week: How much protein should I eat?

One of my readers has sent me the following question, "Since I've been diagnosed with diabetes, a lot of people have given me advice about how much carbohydrate and fat to eat. I'm wondering about protein. How much protein should I get in my diet and from what foods besides meat?"

The recommendations for protein for people with diabetes are the same as for people without. However, before you take this recommendation, be sure to check with your medical practitioner to ensure you are not experiencing any kidney problems.

Your protein intake should be between 10-20% of your total calorie intake. For example, if you are eating 1800 calories for the day, between 180-360 of those calories (45g-90g) should be protein.

There are many other sources of protein other than meat:

Legumes are good sources of protein. Chick peas, beans, and lentils can be used in many delicious ways and are full of nutrients. Dairy products such as eggs, milk, and cheese are also good sources (watch your portion sizes for fat/cholesterol content). Tofu, tempeh, and other soy products (i.e. milk, edamame) are even more choices for non-meat sources of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment